Sunday, 15 March 2015

The Art of the Brick Exhibition at the Old Truman Brewery




Yesterday, me, my mum and my sister headed to London for a pre-Mothers Day outing. I'd seen this exhibition advertised since November and had been really intrigued, so I'm glad we finally got to see it! The artist, Nathan Sawaya, is the first to create sculptures entirely out of Lego. 




The first group of sculptures in the exhibition are takes on classic art pieces. Gustav Klimt's The Kiss is one of my favourite ever paintings; to see it made of Lego was quite amazing!





Objects, planets, technology. Whatever the category, you'll find a Lego sculpture version here!






  

The exhibition had a particular focus on the human form. A lot of the sculptures are based on the idea of the self and state of mind; very positive and reassuring messages with each. There's a strong theme of believing in yourself.



Seeing celebrities made out of Lego was fun - I bet you can't guess who these five cheeky chappies are... (hehehe!).







 

The final room was my favourite of them all. It featured the collaboration of Nathan Sawaya's sculptures and Dean West's photography. The photos are stunning; I love the twist of the lego objects placed in the glamourous scenes - you almost don't notice them as they're so detailed and realistic!

The works are painstakingly detailed and great fun - if you're heading to Brick Lane soon, be sure to pop in to see them!

2 comments :

  1. I like this your post a lot! It’s amazing!
    Thank you for sharing!

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This is amazing!

    http://wpierwszymrzedzie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete