Thursday, 26 February 2015

A Bit of Budapest - Part Two


Day two in this beautiful city was a bit more planned than the first! We got to grips with the metro and bus systems and felt ready to tackle another packed day of sight seeing.





First up, a visit to Heroes Square. It's such a lovely part of the city; despite being surrounded by traffic, it feels like it's away from the hustle and bustle of the city and feels very peaceful. The monuments essentially commemorate Hungarian history and the events that helped shape it.



A visit to the House of Terror Museum was next and it was pretty amazing. This museum documents the effect of the Nazi and Soviet regimes in Hungary and acts as a memorial to the victims. It is spectacularly done; completely captivating and so, so moving. This is an absolute must on a Budapest itinerary. 







We decided to go somewhere a bit more fancy for lunch (VERY fancy!). Once thought to be the most beautiful cafe in the world, The New York Cafe is the most opulent place I have ever been! I felt incredibly lucky to be dining in such luxury - obviously, the food was great too! The deserts were delicious and so very pretty. I don't normally make the most of the eateries available abroad and how foolish I have been! It's made me realise that picking the right restaurants can really make a day and this is a definite tourist attraction in itself.




Before heading for another museum, we took a quick peek at the Dohany Street Synagogue. It's so intricate from the outside but unfortunately, we didn't get to go inside (in all honesty, we couldn't figure out how or where to buy tickets!). If I do return to Budapest (and I'm hoping I do one day), visiting the inside of this synagogue is at the top of my to-do list.










Next, it was on to the Museum of Applied Arts. Again, the architecture didn't disappoint (Budapest knows how to design a building or two!). The mosaic roof, gothic features and sheer size of the building make it a pretty spectacular sight! Inside, a variety of exhibitions can be found. We opted for the Odon Lechner exhibition which was all about the life and work of this clever Hungarian architect (who happened to design this very building). It was so interesting! I would thoroughly recommend this exhibition if you're heading to Budapest soon and are interested in architecture or design.





We then went for a bit of retail therapy at the Central Market Hall. It's filled with fruit, veg, Hungarian delicacies, cloth, trinkets the lot! It's worth a visit, but if I'm totally honest, apart from the food stalls, the souvenirs are all geared towards tourists and are very samey. I would've loved to find more authentic things on sale. Still, I do like me a good fridge magnet so I can't complain too much! We then spotted this cheeky little Peter Pan character along the tramline! 







Our last night was spent checking out some local bars (and having a few cheeky cockatails - I can't resist a Cosmo!) near the Deak Ferenc ter Metro station. We stopped at a bar/bistro called Loft first; quite a small place, but it's pretty cute inside. The Design Terminal was my favourite though; it feels very swish. I couldn't help but grin when I was sipping a cocktail whilst listening to trendy music (I sound so old!).


The next and last morning of our trip started with a visit to Szechenyi Spa before a last stroll around the lovely city. It is a huge, natural spring bath and was a very nice and relaxing end to the trip!

My Budapest experience is now all rounded up and I'm already dreaming of my next city break. Fingers crossed I don't have to wait too long!

1 comment :

  1. All the photos were perfect, really nice job!xx

    Katherine| http://vintagellamas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete