Sunday, 14 September 2014

Sixties Twist

It's amazing to see how many eras influence the highstreet. We've had an influx of nineties goodness (baggy, high waisted jeans, crop tops and jelly shoes to name a few) but the girly gorgeousness of the sixties is working it's way to the front of the revival train - how exciting!

I adore the sophistication and refinement of the early sixties; the bouffanted hair and cute tapered dresses were undeniably chic. With an emphasis on femininity and flare, the sixties is arguably one of the best decades for women's fashion.

With this in mind, I decided to try and work a speck of sixties in today's look.



 






Jumper: Primark // Leggings: Topshop (similar) // Bag: H&M // Sunglasses: Portobello Market // Shoes: eBay

I thought these checked Topshop treggings would be great for a modern take on sixties style. Although the focus in the sixties was very much on short skirts and dresses, I thought these still gave an air of sophistication and refinement. They're also boldly patterned - a nod to the psychedelic patterns that were so prominent then. I also put my hair in a mini beehive and teamed that with these vintage sunglasses for Audrey Hepburn-esque glam.

Of course, this sixties influence is still teamed with modern pieces. I love these chunky white sandals bought for a bargain off eBay (around £20, more detail on these in this post). Chunky shoes add a bit of edge and the white helps to lift the outfit. The pastel blue also seems to go well with the monochrome pieces. This short sleeve number is amazing quality and of course, being Primark, was very purse friendly.

My favourite piece today though, is this H&M faux fur bag. It was bought for £5 in the sale last year (amazing right??!!). I actually forgot I had this until the other day and was determined to incorporate this into a weekend ensemble! I think it really works as an accessory to this outfit. I love how it adds as an extra texture when layered over the patterned treggings. This bag will also see me through to winter as fur is always so prominent in the cold season.

After today, I'm excited to try other revival pieces to accompany my transitional looks. It's great that we have such a broad fashion archive to choose from when it comes to style and I love to see how the past can influence the present - it means we're lucky enough to take the best pieces and make them work today!

9 comments :

  1. I absolutely adore this look! In fact I have a very similar post coming this week Ha!
    That top is gorgeous & the fact it's from primark is fab! I think I'll be heading there shorty for some AW pieces to revamp my wardrobe!
    Rebecca xxx
    www.queenbeady.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thank you! I do love a bit of Primark as you can tell! I look forward to reading your sixties post! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutly love this outfit! <3

    ReplyDelete