Sunday, 8 June 2014

Jean Paul Gaultier Exhibition: The Barbican Centre, London

It's been a little while since I've ventured to London for an exhibition and today seemed like a perfect day to do so. The Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition has had great reviews and looked stunning - I had to go! And oh my goodness. Jean Paul Gaultier is a genius.



Jean Paul Gaultier: From The Sidewalk To The Catwalk, showcases a selection of Gaultier's finest creations. His experimental and daring designs have proved popular among the fashion elite, as well as a-list performers (most famously, Madonna).

What I didn't know, is that Gaultier never received any formal design training - he caught his break by sending sketches to couture designers of the time and learning his skills first hand from them. I love his theatrical and extravagant designs. Not only are they fun and interesting, but they are also thoroughly well made.

I love that Jean Paul Gaultier deliberately chooses models of all races, shapes and sizes and has done so long before 'different' became mainstream. He designs collections to inspire a wide range of individuals and celebrates imperfection.




 The iconic Gaultier corset







 



I have tried to choose the best photos of the day (I took about 100!). There was so much to see and everything felt worthy of being photographed. I would definitely recommend this exhibition for fashion and design lovers. Not only are Gaultier's designs incredible, but the whole lay out of the exhibition works really well. It's bold and gripping, complete with a rotating catwalk and projected moving faces on most of the mannequins making them come alive!
As I said in a previous post, I have a few gingham items I want to share. As the weather was so glorious, I decided it was time for proper summer attire.





Top: Topshop // Skirt: Primark // Shoes: Topshop // Bag: H&M // Necklace: H&M

Midi skirts are fab. They can look so pretty and are perfect for day to day. This gingham number from Primark was around £10 when I bought it, but I saw they now have it reduced to £5! As I've said before, I love gingham as it's a print that can be worn by anyone. It's a cool print that can be dressed up or down.

This Topshop cropped tee is lovely. The floral detailing adds something a bit different to the plain white top. It's a summer staple and I'll definitely be looking to get a couple more in different colours!
By now, I'm sure you all realise I'm a bit of a colourful shoe addict. I love how the pastel green/blue lifts the outfit. I also kind of had to take a massive bag today to fit my camera in! But I do like how a big bag can add sophistication to an outfit (and of course can fit all your essentials and more!).
I hope you like my second outfit featuring gingham this week and also maybe even feel inspired to go and see the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition! I promise you wouldn't be disappointed if you did - it was truly amazing.

4 comments :

  1. These photographs are amazing! I especially love the first shot of your outfit <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I tried to capture everything in the exhibition as best I could. And all credit for my outfit photos go to my lovely mum hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed the exhibition too - it was a little overwhelming at times but I thought it was wonderful.
    Your gingham outfit looks very fresh and cool. Hopefully we will get lots of lovely sunny weather so you can wear it lots. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was so much to see, I was very impressed! Your post about it was fab :) x

    ReplyDelete